January 9, 2017
This morning, I dropped off the oldest at the airport for the Spring semester at the University of Arizona. As I drove home, I realized that I needed to add the year to my work. Now, when I do cross stitch or work on linen, I always place the date and my initials in the lower corners of my pieces when finished.
A couple of outside the box issues. Working using a hoop, there is no corner to add the date! Also, I needed to add the year now to make sure I finish in 2017. Another problem was since I am not using an even weave linen, I was not sure I could make 2017 look like 2017.
Looking back at previous days, I decided to translate 2017 into Roman Numerals to go with the science idea of the Big Dipper in my nighttime sky and to show my love of math. I am really happy with how the MMXVII turned out in the variegated dyed silk! I also got to use one of my many sewing tools, the beaded tail catcher I purchased a long, long time ago! (If anyone recognizes it in the picture below and remembers the name, please let me know!)
Stitch: Straight and Cross
Fiber: The Thread Gatherer Silk ‘N Colors in Fairy Quilt Cottage, using 3 ply